10.18.030 Operation of motorized foot scooters.
A. It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following:
1. Operate a motorized foot scooter on a public roadway having a speed limit greater than twenty-five miles per hour;
2. Operate a motorized foot scooter on a city street at a speed greater than fifteen miles per hour; bicycle path, or trail that is designated for bicycle use at a speed greater than ten miles per hour;
3. Operate a motorized foot scooter on a sidewalk, except as may be necessary to enter or leave property adjacent to the sidewalk at a maximum speed of greater than five miles per hour;
4. Operate a motorized foot scooter on any bicycle path or trail that is not a designated bicycle use lane, or on any public equestrian, hiking, or recreational trail;
5. Operate a motorized foot scooter at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise;
6. Operate a motorized foot scooter with a passenger in addition to the operator;
7. Operate a motorized foot scooter in such a manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property; operation of a motorized foot scooter in excess of fifteen miles per hour shall be prima facie evidence of operation in a manner likely to endanger any person or property;
8. Operate a motorized foot scooter that is not equipped so that the drive motor is engaged through a switch, lever, or other mechanism that, when released, will cause the drive motor to disengage or cease to function;
9. Operate a motorized foot scooter powered by an internal combustion engine that is not at all times equipped with a muffler in good working order; or
10. Operate a motorized foot scooter without wearing a protective helmet that meets or exceeds the safety standards set by the American National Standards Institute’s (ANSI) Standard Z-90.4. The helmet must be worn over the head and equipped with either a neck or chinstrap that must be fastened securely while the motorized foot scooter is in motion;
11. Operate in a manner that creates continuous sound associated with a gasoline-powered engine so as to unreasonably disturb or interfere with the peace and comfort of owners or occupants of real property. Nothing in this section shall limit enforcement of MMC 9.08.050 relating to disorderly conduct.
B. Any person operating a motorized foot scooter upon a public way shall obey all rules of the road as adopted by MMC Title 10. (Ord. 025/2022 § 1 (Exh. A); Ord. 004/2005)